Monday, November 19, 2007

House Reno et al

Let me start off by stating that winter has officially arrived here in Vancouver! "Why do you say that?" you ask. Allow me to explain. Granville Island Brewery's "Winter Ale" is now being brewed. Now that I'm a father of two and rarely get to the pub, I'm sure that today wasn't the first day it was served, but it was on tap when I stopped into the Raven after my yoga class tonight(a whole other story). I was let down to discover the pub's Cold Beer & Wine store didn't yet stock the Winter Ale. I will head to the government Liquor Store tomorrow to investigate and will report back.



Now looking back, I see it was November 5th I last wrote. It has been a rather busy house since then. On Thursday the 8th, Ed of Green Monkey Renovations, started finishing the work in the kitchen that I hadn't finished and also demolished our bathroom. The bathroom demo went well and most of it was out in day one. All we had left was a bathtub. That was the case till Wednesday, when the plumber came and started his work. Thursday saw the electrician come around and tell me nothing was up to code, I needed a new fuse box, the fellow who had previously done the wiring didn't know what he was doing. On closer look the fuse box would do, seeing as our oven was gas not electric it was wired correctly and he would be more than happy to help.



Thursday also saw my wife catch the 6:30 am ferry, over to the island for work. Ella was not due back till Friday 7:00 pm. Which left me in the house with two builders, a plumber, a sparky, two boys under the age of two (one of whom is breast feeding and won't drink formula), no wife and oh yes I'm late for my dentist appointment, can't find his number and my parents aren't picking up their phone(they, bless them, agreed to baby sit the boys while I was at the dentist, and the bank, and Homedepot). The house is covered in plaster dust, but I'm not stressed. I'm not sure who was more relieved to see Ella back home, me or the boys.



Ella came home just as Fin was in the final stages of being put to bed. Ewan was crying in his room. So Mummy swooped in, picked up crying baby, we had a family bedtime story in Finlay's room and all was well with the world. Thursday had gone really well. Mum and Dad had the boys for a good portion of the day while I ran around getting things for the builders. They also fed us dinner that night. By the time we got home they were both tired and went to sleep no problem. More importantly they slept through the night. We did fairly well till Friday afternoon, no chance of a nap, with all that was going on, we had a meltdown of Chernobyl proportions. I ended up with both boys on my lap, both crying, and screeching, faces red, tears rolling down their cheeks, snot from their noses. It was awful, I felt terrible for the poor guy filling my house full of dust, who was working right there and had to listen to it all. It was wonderful to see Ewan just beam and chuckle because his mum was home.

Some highlights from the last couple of weeks;
  • Fin enjoying his Granny's apple pie with vanilla ice cream. He was wolfing it down with his spoon while holding the other one up in a stop sign motion as if to say, "No no no, too busy eating to answer your questions"
  • Ewan grinning and laughing, he's such a happy sole
  • Fin letting us know on more than one occasion he has to go potty
  • Ewan enjoying his food, his portions sizes have doubled and tripled from when we first stared feeding him solids
  • Discovering all the words that Fin has learned, I think star is the latest.
  • Watching Fin interact with his Grandparents over in England by webcaming. How amazing is that. I remember my Grandparents not having a phone and getting to speak to them at Christmas when they were over at my Granny's brothers place!

Ewan and Fin interacting is probably the most memorable and enjoyable. Today while I was washing Ewan face, Fin grabbed his facecloth puppet of Winnie the Bear and started to help. Ewan started laughing at Fin, Fin laughed back and all three of us were laughing. Same thing happened in the car driving over to Nanny's. Ewan can make raspberry noises now and was practicing his new found talent. I copied him and Fin joined in and there were all three of us driving along blowing raspberries and laughing. On that note I bid you all good night.

PS One of my three regular readers, also writes a blog, and I've not seen any updates on her space lately. You know who you are Auntie Louise. I hope you get as much grief from your faithful readers as I do from mine ;)

2 comments:

Patricia said...

Glad to see that you are back in business. Made me laugh. Especially liked the comment about Ewan wanting some breast milk and not liking formula thought you were going to say that you obliged (would have been a first on this planet and made you very rich and famous). Keep up the good work - shame about the Beer. Lots of love to all.

Unknown said...

Scott, you didn't tell me you were back to blog writing! I didn't think you'd have time with two boys to look after ;-) I officially declare myself regular reader number four!